Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Scallions or Green Onions.


The green onions are ready. You can plant them as soon as the soil can be worked, we planted ours early in April. They do really well and require very little space to grow. I save odd little corners and nooks to plant green onions, as they can be planted quite close together. I then plant them in succession all summer for a constant supply. You can even plant some early in the fall to 'overwinter' and use in the early spring. I like having lots of green onions this time of year since storing onions are less than fresh and usually starting to sprout at this time. I use the green onions as my main onions until the other onions are ready closer to the fall. Earlier in the spring I use chives where I would use onions. Change is always nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment