Tuesday, May 15, 2012

So Much Planting.

I sincerely apologize for being somewhat absent with my blogging presence here. We have been awfully busy planting, thinning, transplanting, fertilizing, making new beds and constructing a new trellis. As of tomorrow the entire garden will be planted with the exception of the warm weather crops, of course. Once I get started, it seems like there is just not enough hours in the day and I am usually out after dark with my outdoor lights blaring, watering things.  My poor flower beds have not even been thoroughly weeded, thankfully I edged around them and gave them a good weeding as soon as the soil had thawed. I need to get on top of the weeding of the flower beds before it becomes an enormous task, however around here the veggies always come first. Tomorrow I do not have too much on my plate and will try my darnedest to get some updated pictures on here. The bulbs are truly lovely this time of year, they are so rewarding to plant. We recently added 63 new strawberry plants for a total of 108 and the asparagus spears are reaching for the sky. 


The doggy has been sleeping on this pile of topsoil since we got it. I will feel bad for him when it all gets used elsewhere. 



Lovely kale and spinach from the cold frame. Amazing the kale is still holding on from last fall. I thinned everything in the cold frame that I had sown way too thickly when I was not sure how well it would germinate in the cooler spring temperatures. Now I know that it was not necessary. The chickens do not mind though and make short work of the thinnings, arugula being their favourite.  

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, my flower beds are weedy, as well. Veggies come first around here, too.

    ReplyDelete