Friday, February 8, 2013

Eggs.


Our hens have slowed down on laying a little bit, we don't use a light to stimulate them, just as our new hens have started laying. The result being a bit of a unpredictable laying pattern. Our oldest hens are now over two years old, although most of them are not showing much signs of retiring. We're still getting enough eggs that I only had to buy two cartons from the store, and I'm hoping they will be the only ones. I would almost rather do without eggs than buy them from the store, if boiled eggs were not my favorite breakfast I probably could. 
Now here is a bit of a fun fact about eggs. If you have your own hens, I'm sure by now you've tried to boil a fresh egg. If you do not have your own hens, I'm sure you've boiled eggs from the store before. You know how nice and easy it is to peel a store egg? Would you believe me if I said peeling a fresh egg is next to impossible? The egg in fresh eggs clings so tightly to the egg shell that you lose most of the egg while attempting to peel it, not to mention you end up with a big mess that may make you want to pull your hair out. So how can you get your farm fresh eggs to peel as nicely as their store bought peers? You put them in a carton, mark them for boiling and push them into the back corners of the fridge for a week or more. After about a week, your farm fresh eggs will be as easy to peel as store bought. 

2 comments:

  1. So chuckling about fresh eggs being hard to peel. I remember, one of my first little house parties when I was a newby to farming. The plan was to make egg sandwiches with all my hens fresh eggs. Talk about pulling my hair out!! I had no idea why this was so difficult until later!!! So my learned trick was to whack the cooked egg in half with shell on, spoon out the inside and hope for the best. A little easier but a bit of a mess!! Ah...fond memories. )))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! I did just about the exact same thing, I was planning on making deviled eggs for a party. Little did I know....

    ReplyDelete