Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sprouting Sprouts.


One for us, one for our chickens. I've given up on sprouting sprouts in a jar with water since sprouts in soil do just as well, if not better. I wet the soil first, add a thin layer of sprout seeds and ta-da, sprouts. My boyfriend and I will trim these for topping soup, salads, wraps, eggs etc... During the winter months, one naturally turns to more cooked foods, stews, soups, casseroles, topping food with sprouts allows you to add some extra nutrients,(sprouts are quite nutrient rich) and active enzymes. I always grow parsley indoors for the very same reasons. Plus, a nice green garnish looks great on a dish of cooked vegetables. We eat with our eyes at the same time as our mouth. Look for sprouting varieties, this one is an organic mix of lentils, radish, red clover and black mustard. Very tangy!

No comments:

Post a Comment