Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Radishes like cool weather!





I really miss radishes in the middle of the summer. They grow much better in cool spring and fall weather than the intense heat of mid summer. I read once that the best way to grow a radish is fast. Meaning that growing them in rich soil with lots of organic matter where they will really take off and grow quickly results in a tender and flavourful radish. The method has defiantly worked for me. I constantly plant radishes here and there for a succession of fresh radishes. When I see the last radishes I planted start to push their 'shoulders' out of the soil I will plant some new ones. A fantastic vegetable from the garden to grate into a salad, slice for snacking, add to a coleslaw, soup or casserole.  I never liked radishes I had purchased in the store, however I LOVE radishes from the garden and would be lying if I said I never ate one like an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment