Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Touch of Spring.


Forcing Hyacinths indoors for a fragrant burst of spring is beyond easy. These have been 'chilling' in a cool, dark location since late November. I'll bring them out into full light around the end of February, unless they show me they need to be taken out earlier. Some say forced hyacinths are not worth planting again outdoors, however I would disagree. Hyacinths tend to display their very best their first year of blooming and every year after show smaller, less dramatic flowers. They are still worth planting outdoors when planted amongst other hyacinths to add to the display. I have 3 clumps of random hycainths now from ones I originally planted and then all my additional pre-forced bulbs.  All together my hyacinths make a casual, informal planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment