Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Garden.


Just dug this beauty of a radish out of my cold frame to add to lunch. Not bad for the 18th of January. I still have a few of these little gems out there, however I'm noting that next year I'll need to plant more. Radishes enjoy cooler weather and grow quite well in early spring and late fall. They are hopeless in the middle of summer when the temperatures get too hot making them a real treat for the two short seasons they grow. I never liked radishes until I grew them myself. My home grown radishes, thankfully, taste nothing like any I've bought over the years from the grocery store. They taste best when grown quickly, so really work on your soil prior to planting, incorporating lots of compost or well rotted manure. I fertilize them with an eel grass or grass clipping tea while they are growing. The leaves of radish are edible too, however I'm yet to try them. My Hen's go nuts for them so I always save the greens for the girls. I can be a bit of a softie when it comes to the girls.

1 comment:

  1. very cool! i also am not really a fan of radishes- so i'd be interested in tasting the difference if i grew them myself :) (although they'd probably grow in sept-october here before the soil freezes).

    ReplyDelete