Tuesday, March 25, 2014


My seed starting station. Celeriac sprouted their true leaves and were potted up accordingly. Celery has just germinated, I had to wait for my seeds so they're slightly behind their celeriac 'siblings' we'll call them. Petunias are almost ready to pot up and we're waiting on ground cherries and peppers to make an appearance. I have lots of leeks and red onions started, the rest of the onions will be direct seeded in the garden. I started a few cabbage, broccoli and kohlrabi plants indoors to see how they'll do planted out in the cold frame. That's about it for now. I won't be starting my tomatoes for a little bit yet and I'll be starting a few more things for early transplants. I also fully planted my second cold frame over the weekend with lots of spinach, a few pea plants, lots of radishes, bok choy, tatsoi, mizuna, mustard greens and various lettuces. I then covered the seeds with a row cover like the other cold frame which will help keep in heat and moisture, aiding in germination. 

2 comments:

  1. I missed all your lovely posts so it was great to catch up today. You have a delux starter compared to my wild and rusty set up!! impressed. Great growings including the cold frame. You do just what I do, putting the fleece over to keep things that little warmer and protected. Love the red onions..love them. Do you remember the variety? Happy Growing. GB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ecstatic to have red onions for spring salads! The variety was Red Zeppelin, I had great luck with them for several years now. I'm not sure why, but I'm trying a different variety this year, Red Wing organic. Hoping this snow slows down so we can get cracking on building our greenhouse. I'll be juggling all the plants around when it comes time to pot them all up!

    ReplyDelete