Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Enjoying the Fall Garden.


Hens on patrol. Currently loving expired tomatoes, too big leaves of swiss chard, rutabaga tops, carrot tops and general garden clean up. 


Broccoli planted in August. That is not weeds against the fence, it is oats planted over the whole garden, wherever there is bare soil, as a cover crop of green manure. We did a really good job of keeping the soil weed free all summer, the oats will ensure it stays that way. 


The big picture. Lots of oats planted over the garden, straw where oats couldn't be planted. It is really beneficial to protect bare soil from winter elements. The oats will die over the winter and then can be either tilled into the soil, left where they lay or raked off. 

 

High-Five! Swiss chard I am letting go to seed to have lots of swiss chard seeds for next year.




Old swiss chard. 


New swiss chard! This was planted around August for fall greens. I keep on top of picking my swiss chard so it never gets too large. We much prefer the smaller leaves around here. You can continue to pick the leaves off the plant and it will continue to grow for months. I have swiss chard in my garden that was planted last fall that is still growing as I pick it. 


Letting my favorite lettuces go to seed amongst all the oats. I'll keep a lot of these seeds for next year, free seeds=free veggies, and give some away in personalized packets for gifts. 
A neat christmas idea is to give someone a seed salad. It could be a mix of different seeds that could come together to make a salad, for example, lettuce seeds, radish seeds, tomato seeds and cucumber seeds could work. 


One variety of Brussel Sprouts. 


Another variety. Yum! I would mention how easy it is to freeze brussel sprouts, if I had any intention of freezing these. These will all be fresh eaten. 


Fall kohlrabi. 


My leeks went in too late due to me being swamped with gardening chores. That's O.K. I love baby leeks.  


Thick bed of oats where the peas had grown. 


Corn salad or mache, very cold tolerant. I have a part of a row planted with this, kale, arugula and spinach to cover with row covers. 


Sad, late planted cold frame bed, needing mulch. Arugula, kale, Bok Choy, lettuces, corn salad, radishes, cilantro, scallions, swiss chard and spinach all planted and doing O.K. all things considered. If nothing else, I'm hoping these will start growing again in March for early spring veg. It was not an urgent task this year to get this planted as I have a couple rows and beds with fall greens and other veggies all ready to go and just needing row covers. 



The main garden bed is almost ready for winter, a bit more clean up needed. 

4 comments:

  1. Jessica, what a nice fall harvest. Your produce is looking great. Wish I could have chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George!! I wish everyone could have chickens, they are a real joy. Their manure is invaluable in the garden, so high in nitrogen, it's miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have learned so much about gardening Phallen. One thing I've never had is Kolrabi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like a dense cabbage. I find it tastes like a mix between cabbage and radish. It's really good sliced raw or I made 'fries' with it a few times that are really yummy!

    ReplyDelete