Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fiddlehead Soup.


I wanted to use up my frozen fiddleheads before they lost all their nutrients in the freezer. I had a chicken carcass to make stock from so I made a fiddlehead soup to sip on. 
Aside from a whole pile of shallots I sauted for the base of this soup, it consists mainly of fiddleheads. Saute the shallots, steam the fiddleheads for 11 minutes, they had been blanched for 3 minutes before I froze them, salt the shallots, add the fiddleheads and top off with flavourful chicken stock. Blend and season if desired. I had seasoned my chicken stock fairly well so I added nothing extra. Fiddleheads are really flavorful on their own.  I had this for dinner last night with a couple pieces of leftover chicken thrown in and for breakfast this morning as is. 

5 comments:

  1. No kidding..I never thought to make soup out of fiddleheads. Thanks Jessica. ...mmmm...creamed fiddlehead soup...with...sage? rosemary? ..oh the possibilities..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really tasty and a great way to use up frozen fiddleheads. My broth was flavoured with lots of rosemary and thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me how/why do vegetables lose their nutrients in the fridge / freezer? I don't understand it on a basic level: if nothing is being added or removed or changed, where do the nutrients go? Is it a chemical change over time? Super curious

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegetables lose nutrients the moment their picked from the ground, as you've basically killed the vegetables by removing it. This continues until the vegetable either rots or is eaten. That's why we try and store everything that can be stored in the garden right where it is. We leave lettuce and greens, carrots, rutabagas, beets, leeks, etc... in the garden until we need them. There's no point storing food unless it's going to go bad in the garden.

    ReplyDelete