Saturday, November 24, 2012

Inside the Cold Frame.

A tiny piece of summer still lives in my cold frame's microclimate, where these guys weren't told it is time to stop growing.  I had planted my cold frame a little later than I would have liked to, although you'd never really know. The crops that do well in the cold frame are doing just that. I can not explain how lovely it is to have these veggies growing in the frame. Any time I need some greens, I take a quick jaunt to the frame and can pick arugula for a wrap, spinach for a salad or kale to steam. The veggies stay their very freshest since they are still in the ground, providing us with their best to offer for nutrients. Powdered 'green' drinks got nothing on this production! 


Bok Choy, perfect for a holiday meal. My mother always made authentic chinese dishes for X-mas eve, Bok choy would have been perfect to have.  


Spinach in the baby stage. 


Radish growing away. 


Transplanted Kale. 


Arugula. 


Outside the cold frame we have some frosty broccoli. 


More frosty broccoli. Can you believe that broccoli freezes like this and then perks back up looking no worse for wear? Very cold tolerant, cold frame not required. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, I too love to visit my cold frames when everything else is brown and cold, or covered in snow. The broccoli leaves are edible, so when you are done with the heads, use the leaves like collards or kale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat! I often eat the stem after I've cut a few heads off, peel it and steam it with the florets but I've never tried the leaves. I'll have to do that!

    ReplyDelete