Thursday, November 8, 2012

Oh no, Amaryllis!


I don't know about this guy. I was reading a bulb book last night, that stated an amaryllis bulb can bloom in as little as 5 weeks. I know they can grow alarmingly fast, however this seems like a bit much. I may have been slightly ambitious getting the bulb started for the holidays, although, early or late, indoor blooms aren't exactly a disaster.  I had timed this planting for exactly 8 weeks before X-mas day and have a feeling it will be here for some early cheer. I started one paperwhite bulb early, in the mug, for succession paperwhite blooms. I had the paperwhite bulb timing down perfectly last year. I planted them at the very first of December and had them bloom from the 23rd on. 


This is last years paperwhites, about to bloom on December. 20, 2011. 


One stalk in bloom on the 24th, with the rest to follow quickly behind.

2 comments:

  1. Meant to buy some and then forgot! Now on the list. Thanks for the reminder. Gosh, yours look so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I may even buy another to force since they're so lovely indoors during the snowy months.

    ReplyDelete