Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bright Start to the New Year.


Cutting into a butternut squash is always a cheery experience with it's sunny innards. This beta carotene rich, dietary fibre source of phyto-nutrients was grown in our garden, cured in the sun and stored until now, when I decided we simply must have roasted butternut squash puree with the chicken I'm roasting. Vitamin A is thought to be important for maintaining the skin and mucous membranes, as well as being essential for eyesight, making squash a great winter food. Butternut squash contains more Vitamin A than a pumpkin, which is known to be a superfood, so I think butternut squash is super too! The most super part of growing butternut squash is their ability to store so well. This probably would have lasted a couple more months, I have yet to grow enough squash that I still have some left in March. 
My favorite saying has changed, from next year to THIS year, as it will be time to start seeds indoors before you know it!   

5 comments:

  1. One of my fav squash! Always wish I grew more, but don't have the room. I have one pumpkin left, but didn't grow it.

    Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's always the way here too! When the garden is at it's peak I never want to use all the room required to grow enough squash to have any to store. I'm going to try to squeeze more in next year, I'll have to get creative. I'm not opposed to sneaking squash into my roomier flowerbeds, I've done it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome. Your blog is very inspiring. I have searched back in your posts and you have done so much!!! Next year..more squash!! Now if only my friend would just let me use her field ))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks so much! Always great to know I have an audience. You could always promise your friend some of the yield to sweeten the deal!

    ReplyDelete