Friday, January 4, 2013

New Years Resolutions for the Garden.

This gardening year I resolve to:

Grow more squash for storage. 

Grow more onions for storage. I have enough shallots and garlic, but only about 20 odd cooking onions left. 

Grow mostly red potatoes, as they seem to do the very best. 

Lacto-Ferment more vegetables like dill beans and sauerkraut. 

Grow more cabbage and brussel sprouts. 

Make certain my cold frame is planted in early august for the winter months, and include tatsoi in my planting. 

Save more seeds. I saved an awful lot of seeds last year and, with several exceptions, don't need to buy quite as many seeds this year. 

Add some fruit trees, where I'm going to put them...I'm not quite sure. Where there is a will, there is a way.    

Plant grape vines! 

Start even more flower seeds as I give them all away as gifts during the spring/summer months. Petunias, marigolds and pansies are my go-to annuals that everyone seems to enjoy receiving. 

Press as much apple cider as possible during the summer/fall months. 

Build a greenhouse, well my boyfriend will mostly construct it and I'll be his helper. 

Maybe build another cold-frame, if I can scavenge some materials. 

Build a root cellar, hopefully. 

Blog more and write more. I'm slowly working on a book and hoping to write some articles to be published. 

Do more for myself and household. Produce more food, preserve more food and DIY everything we can. 

Time to start thinking of these things as the gardening season will be here before you know it. I'm certainly not trying to rush winter, one of my favorite seasons, I just can't help thinking that before you know it, it's going to be time to tap maple trees and enjoy crocus blooms. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Most of them carry over from last year, we had one too many weddings this summer to get the greenhouse and root cellar done! I always have the best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely correct that the spring will be here before you know it. Your plans are ambitions but I'm sure you'll achieve them.

    ReplyDelete