Tuesday, August 27, 2013


Our worst garlic harvest to date. The front box is for planting again. These were, sadly, our largest bulbs. I'll probably plant a couple more bulbs than these hoping for a good crop next year. Thankfully I planted a lot of shallots this year, and provided they do well, they will store well into March and help supplement our garlic harvest.  I am a little disappointed in this yield, but that's just the way it goes and there's always next year to try again! Soon enough it will be time to plant these again. There's not much that's easier to grow than garlic. 

2 comments:

  1. Well I am disappointed for you. But as you say, you have the shallots. Still, it is a loss when one uses garlic a lot as we do, and think you too.

    I wonder about the eel grass...salt perhaps, would that have inhibited the growth?

    The bulbs look beautiful though, I must say. Ahem..a little cleaner than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about that too!! A gardener down the road from me used the eel grass as a mulch too and had wonderful bulbs, so now I'm not too sure. It was older eel grass that had been out in the elements, I pile it before using it so it can get rained on and rinsed, for almost a whole season. The bulbs did turn out well, although small. I planted two different varieties in proximity of each other, which I was curious about but I didn't read anything implying different varieties be planted apart. Aside from those two theories, I'm stumped! I may mulch with straw in the fall, just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete