Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fermentation.


Although I'm no stranger to fermentation, I'm just getting my hands on this book now. Wild fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz is filled with useful information on how to ferment almost anything you would want to ferment. He uses natural methods like lacto-fermentation and capturing yeasts from the air. It also details how fermented foods came about, their benefits (both taste and health), and offers suggestions for both omnivores and vegans. Sandor may have lived a life of fermentation experimentation and documented the process and results. I always want to ferment more foods than I get around to, leafing through this has inspired me to add to my fermenting repertoire. 

4 comments:

  1. I never did get his book but have watched him on youtube where there are a couple of good videos of him preparing food. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'll have to check that out too. My boyfriend picked this up for me since he knew I really wanted it for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. may sound silly - but is it about turning all your food into wine? I don't get fermenting for another reason but if there is another reason I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound silly! You know more about fermenting foods than you let on! Yogurt is a ferment, sauerkraut is a ferment, tamari soy sauce is a ferment, kimchi is a ferment and vinegars are a ferment.

    ReplyDelete