Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quick Peek Inside the Cold Frame.


Kale, green onions, lettuce, radishes, arugula and spinach. 


Spinach seedlings with arugula. 



The same kale, green onions, lettuce, arugula and spinach with other assorted greens. Everything was sown a bit too thickly, with the exception of my baby mesclun mix lettuce, and will need to be thinned shortly. The girls will gladly take care of the thinnings for me. 


The only patch of arugula that overwintered is going to seed. Some eat the seeds, and the flowers, or you can save them to plant. I will be saving them to plant outside the cold frame for another crop of tasty arugula leaves.  I usually plant arugula in succession for a continuous supply until they start to bolt. Then I plant again closer to the fall. I have a shady corner of the garden specifically for things that dig a little shade, the arugula did well there until later in the summer last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment