Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's Going on in the Gardens.

We had a busy gardening stretch, however the rain is going to quickly put an end to that. It's simply not worth working in the garden when the soil is too wet, when more harm than good can be done. I concentrate my efforts elsewhere during wet gardening days. Wet soil can be great for weeding flower beds, putting up fencing, tending indoor plants and transplanting. I have also been digging up dandelions and eating the greens. I snapped these pictures this morning when there was still a bit of sun peeking out, although it is still pretty miserable light for showcasing flowers and veggies.  


This clump of arugula overwintered in the cold frame and is now going to flower. The leaves are still not too spicy despite being so large so I want to collect some seeds to plant in the fall. I have more than enough of this early spring lifesaver planted right now. We use arugula leaves in salads, on wraps and sandwiches, tossed into pastas and vegetable/fish/meat dishes and to make pesto. Some eat the flowers and the seeds. 



Lettuce. It is so nice to have the cold frame filled with goodies this time of year, I can relax a bit on planting the garden, although we are still hammering it in. 


All the new arugula. This will need to be thinned, although with greens I find you can get away with planting them fairly close together, especially if you are constantly harvesting.


Rhubarb coming along nicely. I recently put some compost around this clump. Rhubarb appreciates some compost or well rotted manure in the spring. 


Chives. We harvest from this clump constantly and allow about half of the clump to keep growing. 


The first daffodil. 


First windflower. 


The hyacinths, slightly battered by the rain. 



Siberian squill. These bulbs were in a bit more shade than my main flowerbed, where the squill has already flowered and is now looking tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment