Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Indoors.


Asparagus, ground cherries, petunias and onions loving the light. The petunias are mostly for gifts, my containers and hanging baskets and filling in blank spots in my flower beds. 



The onions are going to need a haircut very shortly. I'll trim them down to about 3 inches before they can go stay in the cold frame for a bit. Onions from seed do really well. 


More onions from seeds, celery jalapeƱo peppers and petunias in soil.  


Celery starting to look like celery. 


The big picture. My asparagus is getting big and will have to be transplanted. 


Asparagus fern. 


Onions still hanging on to their seeds. I read that you should not pick the seeds off, tempting as it can be, as the seedling may still be drawing nutrients from the seed. 

4 comments:

  1. Exciting! great photos of your seedlings.. looks very familiar! :) I love that you're growing asparagus from seed. In the long run, that will give you hardier plants. Homegrown asparagus is amazing - so tender and delicious. Just watch out for slugs, as they love asparagus too, buggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the luxury of time since I planted a small bed of asparagus crowns that I am able to harvest starting last year. Although I'm still longing for more. I never knew it would result in a hardier plants, bonus! I planted quite a few from seed last year and then when I saw Jersey Giant available from seed, I could not resist to start another 20 or so. I am just waiting to have to wage war on the slugs, none have appeared yet. The chickens will eat them for the first part of the summer and then they lose interest, I can't blame them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, can you describe the onion haircut method and reasoning? I have just put the seedlings into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi George, my understanding is that you trim the onion seedlings to 3-4 inches to help focus the plants energies on the bulb production as opposed to the greens. I believe this can be done prior to or after transplanting. I have heard of people doing both. Niki Jabbour mentioned she uses the trimmings for culinary purposes, yum!

    ReplyDelete