Monday, April 9, 2012

How to Make Compost or Seaweed Fertilizer Tea.

My seedlings indoors and in my cold frame need some fertilizer. At this point a really nutrient rich, liquid fertilizer is just what they need. I love seaweed fertilizer and have bought it from the nursery on several occasions until I realized you can make your own at home. I have made compost tea at home before and the seaweed tea is made using the same method. We recently harvested some seaweed to use on our garden, my flower beds and to compost. Although harvesting less than four tonnes annually of Rockweed is legal in Nova Scotia, check to make sure the beach isn't closed to harvesting and take only what you need. I believe that seaweed breaking down on shore serves a purpose to the beach and it's inhabitants. 


Making the fertilizer tea could not be simpler. My boyfriend played photographer, helping me document the process. Grab an old bucket of some sort, preferably with a lid.


Fill the bucket half to three quarters full with seaweed or compost. Some say to rinse the seaweed to remove excess salts. I am using old seaweed that sat on my garden during the winter months, saving the new seaweed for composting. You can even use manure to make fertilizer tea. I would recommend using composted manure. 


Seaweed. 


The girls like to help since it stirs up the bugs that are living in the seaweed. 


Getting right in there, you need to be careful not to harm one of the hens in the process. 


Fill the bucket with water and if you are expecting any precipitation cover the bucket. Stir frequently over the next week. If you have an aerating pump you can throw that in the bucket to constantly stir the tea, resulting in a great product.  Although the seaweed fertilizer will get stronger over time you can start using the liquid after about a week. I usually dip a cup into the tea, take what I need and refill the bucket with water to steep further. I don't bother blending, straining or doing anything else to the tea. The proof is in the pudding, feed this fertilizer to your seedlings and watch them grow! 


Turning over a couple of sods to find worm treats for the girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment