Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Borscht.



As I was making a big old pot of borscht the other day, my boyfriend remarked that it had been awhile since we had borscht. It had probably been an exact year. I only really make borscht at this time of year when everything needed for it is available in the garden, even my dill is cooperating by having gone partly to seed. Here is the recipe I always use. I have tried several variations and like this one the best. There is a lot of grating involved, often I will double the recipe to make a bigger pot to ensure leftovers. What a great way to use up some beets, carrots and tomatoes from the garden. Borscht is one of my favourite soups. 

1 tbsp butter or oil
1 large onion or several cloves of garlic diced 
4 large beets, peeled and grated
3-4 large carrots, peeled and grated
3 celery stalks, sliced 
(I use the leaves and all if they're in good shape when using celery out of the garden)
6 cups beef broth or chicken broth
(I make my beef broth out of bonus soup bones from the man we get our beef from)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dill seed
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 jalapeño pepper (optional) 
Salt and pepper to taste
Organic sour cream or yoghurt to garnish (optional)
Fresh chives and parsley for garnish. 

Saute onions or garlic in butter until soft, about 3 minutes. Add beets, carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until softened, stirring frequently. 

Add stock, tomatoes, vinegar, dill seed, jalapeño and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes until all vegetables are cooked and tender. 

Add cabbage and simmer about 5 more minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving with sour cream or yoghurt and chives/parsley as garnish.    


No comments:

Post a Comment