Thursday, November 18, 2010

Memory Lane

Now that the snow is about to fly my garden is looking fairly vacant. We have planted one side with garlic and swiss chard. Leeks, beets, carrots, parsnips, radishes, romaine lettuce, kale, the odd fennel bulb and green onion are still growing. We have plenty of storage vegetables like potatoes, garlic, onions, carrots, parsnips etc. and canned preserves to treasure until March when we can plant again. I find myself nostalgically reminiscing on photos of, what was this summer,  a beautiful garden. It is as if you appreciate the sheer beauty of life and growth more when there's less of it surrounding you outside. The lushness of the fresh vegetables is a real treat for your peepers when there is leaves on the ground.There is more than one reason to take photos of your garden. If your memory is poor and you want to follow the organic practice of crop rotation to prevent and reduce diseases photos can ensure you rotate properly. I do not trust my memory to file the pinpoint where I planted my peppers last year.  I use the winter months to plan my garden for the following year and the photos make it easier. They can also make the long months of snow easier by reminding you of the bounty to come. Here is a few of my favourite pictures looking back on the gardening year, in no particular order.

Oregano, Chives and Garlic hanging in the herb bed I plant close to my kitchen door for easy culinary access.

Boris and a Checkered Lily.

Strawberries, Beets, Carrots, Onions and Potatoes.

Pea trellis.
In all it's glory with the Hens in the background.

Have some Pollen.

Some early onions drying.

Baby Chick.

2 comments:

  1. I think I like the baby chick the most - but I was curious (super curious) ... when you say you planted the beets, carrots, parsnips etc. when did you plant them and how long do they grow? You are the most efficient little gardener I know! And how long do you have to dry onions for before you can store them? I remember mom and dad braiding them and hanging them on the wall but what happened before that?
    ps - holy huge and gorgeous garden lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby chick is super cute!

    Sorry, I worded that paragraph describing the remnants of the garden poorly. If you give it a re-read it says we planted the garlic and everything else is still growing. During the summer we plant a lot of things in two week increments for a steady supply instead of just a large harvest. The carrots, parsnips and beets aren't really still growing they just don't mind the cold weather and can stay in the ground. I planted the radishes, kale and new lettuce at the end of August.

    The length of drying time depends on the onions and where you are drying them. It's good to dry them in a place out of direct sun with good air flow. You can either tie them up or spread them out on papers and turn them often. You dry them until the skins harden and dry out. It's best to just keep checking them.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete