Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The season of the squash.

Squash have been harvested and laid in the sun for sufficient time now to toughen their skins for storage. Butternut, Acorn, Kobocha and Pumpkin are popular varieties. They all taste delicious when roasted, turned into a soup, made into a pasta dish or a warm or cold salad. This weekend I made a butternut squash lasagna from our own harvest, unfortunately the lasagna was so good it didn't last long enough for a photo. Squashes have a slightly nutty, sweet taste and are extremely flavourful. Squashes are high in fibre, nutrients and phytonutrients. I feed my leftover squash seeds and inner scrapings for my Hens but never my pumpkin seeds, I always keep those to roast for ourselves.

 Beta-carotene rich squash soup garnished with fresh parsley.

2 comments:

  1. can you roast squash seeds like you do pumpkin ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can. I usually don't because there is generally less seeds in a squash than a pumpkin. If I were cooking more than one squash I would probaly keep them to roast.

    ReplyDelete