Thursday, March 8, 2012

Current Contents of the Cold Frame.


The kale is really enjoying these nice warm spring-like days we have been having. I had picked it close to clean over the winter months, it is now coming back with vigour. 



The spinach overwintered also, it is starting to grow again too, sending out little shoots of new leaves close to the soil. 




Curious Kitty. 


She was trying to scope out a spot to have a nap on the warm straw. I had one clump of arugula survive the winter, you can see it in line with the spinach towards the back of the frame, it was covered with a really thick layer of seaweed and straw mulch. I am thinking that next year I will be able to keep some going much longer using a lot more mulch than I had this time around.  


Smelling the fresh soil. 


She probably would have stayed in there all day had I let her. 



Next year I will fill this cold frame with cold hardy vegetables for both early winter and early spring harvests. I had not really realized how quickly the sun would rejuvenate the plants in early spring.  Small kale leaves can be used anywhere you would use lettuce and other greens. I would be lying if I said I did not snag a few leaves to chew on while I was planting new seeds in the frame. 


Warm weather brings the girls out. They are going to be all over the place today. At least the snow is still deep enough that they can not make it to the neighbours...yet. It will be tractor time for them soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment