Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Yard Clean Up.



I took my camera out with me yesterday while I was straightening up and putting away things in the yard. It was a lovely day for working outdoors and most of the snow has gone even though we still have some large drifts and patches that remain. We will have to contain the girls soon enough before they either get too destructive or start travelling too far away. 
Hens are fantastic workers, which is great when you use them to work some land you want to be worked, not so fantastic for flower beds. They have a fenced in area off their chicken shed, the only problem is that snow inevitably crushes chicken wire. The girls are able to hop over the low parts of fencing that we need to repair. I would have repaired it yesterday, however looks like Mother Nature has one last snow storm in our future. I was hoping to get into my flower beds to remove old perennials and flower stalks sooner than later, although it seems as if I can put it off a bit longer now. 



There seems to be some housing confusion going on here. 


Scratching through the flowerbeds by the foundation where the snow has melted and the bugs are active under the layers of mulch. 


I have got to remember for next year that the snow almost always disappears from around these lilac bushes first. In the fall I will plant some early spring flowering bulbs around their bases. I think I will go with snowdrops. 


Snow crocus just starting to poke up through the ground. 



Making her rounds. 



Cold frame crops thoroughly enjoyed the sun yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment