Friday, March 30, 2012

The truth About Coffee Grinds.

Looks like I may have less compost sorting on my hands in the future. I follow Niki Jabbour from the The Year Round Vegetable Gardener on Twitter. Niki posted this article this morning The Truth About Coffee Grinds, which I thought was a funny coincidence considering I just posted about sorting out my grinds from the compost. I would guess that my berries seemed to enjoy the grinds in conjunction with the compost and seaweed I also provided them with. I use espresso grinds, which I have read are slightly more acidic than percolated grinds due to the nature of the brewing process, although I doubt the difference is significant. Espresso forces a small amount of water through a large amount of grounds in a quick fashion, resulting in a less acidic coffee than percolated, meaning that more of the acidity remains in the grinds. Still, I think I'll start saving myself the trouble and just throw all the grinds into the compost, leaving only treats to save for the girls. Less work is never really a bad thing, I'm far from bored around here with all my projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment