Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Germination.



Arugula is an amazing green. I had sown the seeds quite thickly, as I was unsure of how well they would do. They germinated at lighting speed and darkened in colour in the lovely sun today. I'll need to thin the greens shortly, although I'll allow a few to grow a little larger since the chickens love the greens as much as we do. Arugula makes a great spring green to wake your taste buds up after a long winter without. It is, obviously, very quick growing and prefers cool temperatures to germinate and grow. It's love of cool temperatures makes arugula a great spring vegetable that can be sown as soon as your soil can be worked. I had one clump survive the winter, due to it's extra insulation the others were lacking, that's coming back with vigour. 


Our overwintered kale, green onions and spinach are growing quite well. My kale is not bolting, I've stripped the stalks of the plants for their leaves during the first part of winter and more recent harvests. The kale would probably appreciate some more seaweed mulch around it's base.


A radish has germinated to the left of the spinach with more following. I can not wait to eat more veggies from my frame. 


Lettuce germinated. 


 

Garlic sprouts along with the spring bulbs. 


The girls.  





Never a dull moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment