Monday, March 19, 2012

Working Girls.


  The girls working away at my intended project for them. I had piled aged chicken manure, compost, fall leaves and seaweed on the garden to decompose over the winter. I turned the pile over to encourage the girls to dig and tear at the debris, looking for tasty bugs and vegetation. They do an absolutely fantastic job of breaking down compost and incorporating all the layers together. This method of layering compost with other organic materials works really well also. When I turned the pile yesterday there was no distinguishable layers of the different components, rather a large amount of composed material.  



The weather was so lovely yesterday, I almost instantly overheated while digging. I always have sweaters and other tops hanging from trees, fence posts and anything else I can successfully hook them on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment