Thursday, October 24, 2013

Butternut Beauties!


We have the pleasure of enjoying lots of butternut squash these days. As my boyfriend always says "Better than mashed potatoes" Usually I cut them down the middle and roast the two halves in the oven. While they're still nice and hot, I peel them quickly and puree with butter and a tsp. of maple syrup. The maple syrup is not necessary, it's more so something I'm used to. So yummy and good for you, butternut squash are an excellent source of beta-carotene and other antioxidants as well as vitamin c. It is showing promise as an anti-inflammatory food,  shows potential blood sugar regulation benefits and contains pectin. Pectin from fruits and vegetables in the diet may help to reduce cholesterol in the body. It is also a very good source of manganese and dietary fiber. All winter squash is a good source of folate, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin B2, B6, magnesium, potassium and vitamin k and copper. It's no wonder butternut squash is emerging as a newly named superfood.  


Although we've eaten a few already, this is the majority of our squash haul. We yielded twelve butternut squash off of four vines! I'm curing them on the kitchen/project table here in the sun. Once cured, they will last a really long time in proper storage! One of my favorite, easiest and prolific crops to grow. I'm making even more room for squash next year. I'll try a couple different varieties too although butternut is easily my favorite. 


I always tell my clients to eat at their kitchen table so they can really pay attention to their food. I really need to stop covering mine with gardening projects so I can follow my own advice! 

3 comments:

  1. This one and blue Hubbard is also a favourite of mine. I did enjoy the long island cheese pumpkin..very sweet, good for baked goods. Great harvest..12 from only four plants. VG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Hubbard, sounds intriguing! I'll have to look into that variety.

    I was shocked, initially I thought we had nine then I found three more in the dead vines! Only two were kinda puny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and made soup with it regularly last winter.

    ReplyDelete