Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Seed Saving.


Most of my spring planted greens are going to seed now. Various lettuces, bok choy, rapini, mustard greens, arugula and kale. Pictured above is bok choy dried seed pods. Seeds couldn't be easier to save. Either shake the seed pods into a container or bag or take the seed pods or entire plant indoors to separate the seeds from the pods. 

Hot Tip: Seeds are almost always heavier than their dried seed pods and will naturally accumulate in the bottom of a container. If you're dealing with any amount of seeds you can even use the method people use for separating dried beans from their pods. The seeds are poured from one container to another in front of a fan, the seeds fall into the waiting container and the pods and other debris gets blown away. 

I have saved way more seeds than I could ever use in a season myself, therefore some people on my Christmas list are getting seeds this year.  My thoughtful boyfriend picked up some cool colorful seed packets for me to gift the seeds in.  

2 comments:

  1. i've been reading today about window farming, and regrowing vegetables from table scraps and seeds - can you tell me what you know about regrowing carrots? I know they'll grow shoots, but if you plant the top of the carrot, will the root grow down as well? And what about seeds? Do you know a trustworthy resource for learning about it? I would think there are a number of fruit and vegetables with easily recovered seeds that you could regrow - but how? Do apple seeds need to be dried out? Once dried, then what? What about peppers? peas? Super curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carrot would likely go to seed and not make a new carrot, if it did anything. You'd be well off to plant cut and come again crops like lettuce, celery, greens and all herbs. Seeds from fruit trees don't necessarily come true to the mother plant. You may get something similar to and looking like an apple tree but it won't necessarily produce apples. Grafting is a much better method for propagating fruit trees. You can easily save seeds from peppers to plant again, they require very little care and peas can be dried out for planting also, I saved some of my own this year. The methods for saving seeds varies with each plant, that's why I recommended a seed saving book in my past post about seed saving. There's a link provided in the past post if you do a quick search for it. It can be as easy as simply gathering the seeds or there could be several steps involved and the right plants need to be selected. Then you may have to treat the seed in some way after saving it. Like tomato seeds need to be fermented.

    ReplyDelete