Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sunny Days


Lovely weather here following too much rain. My poor sunflowers were bashed around in wind and rain and as a result are slightly sleepy.  


Just a little tired. 


I love sunflowers and make a point to grow them every year. They add much needed color and warmth to these fall days and the bees adore them.  It was hard to get a decent picture but these guys were covered in activity between bees and hornets. 


Monster sunflower. 


Spinach started from seed I saved from the spring. This is in one of my two cold frame beds that will be covered shortly. 


This is the cold frame bed that contains the spinach.  Left to right; spinach, mixed lettuces, radishes, tatsoi, mizuna, baby bok choy, big bok choy and kale.  


I am going to miss the corn stalks. Time for these to join the compost pile. 


View from the garden gate. 


Sleepy sunnies. 



My morning glories are still going strong. I love the carefree feel of these guys. 


Climbing all over my deck. 


The squash plants pulled down this poor sunflower and trapped it close to the ground with their vines. 


2 comments:

  1. Your cold frame greens are a week ahead of mine...what a good grow you are having. Cold frames..what would we do without them!! Did have a lovely salad the other day from the row cover bed...the spinach there is coming on nicely. Must blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do!! I'm making up for last year when I planted my cold frame beds too late. I need to thin everything, just waiting until the thinnings are big enough too eat. I have another cold frame bed well under way too, it's just enveloped by a tomato plant right now that's keeping me from getting a good picture! I had my best germination rate to date with my fresh spinach seeds. I always have lousy luck getting spinach to germinate and was wondering if the freshness of the seeds is a favourable factor.

    ReplyDelete