Friday, February 24, 2012

Our Third Garden.


Cats and Doggy hanging out on our dingy deck with the garden in the background. I guess I don't have a picture of the tilling process from this year. We are gradually working towards no till gardening. Our soil at this time still requires a light tilling in the spring since it becomes so compacted over the winter months. The joy of a heavy clay soil. 


Woodpecker. 


The garden, after tilling I'm guessing. 


If I remember correctly we had a fantastic growing year with just the best weather possible. 

The area to the left is the addition for this year. 


Boris helping with the harvest. 


Before I started heavily mulches around the edges of the garden to keep weeds down. 


Onions grown from sets. 


The big picture. Looks like, left to right, strawberries, beets, carrots, onion family, beans or potatoes and tomatoes. 


Cucurbits family and first year with the pea trellis. 



Looks like potatoes in the middle, I can not remember for the life of me. All I know is that my garden has been rotated from one year to the next. Crop rotation discourages pests and disease.  


Strawberries to the right. Looks like romaine lettuce in front of the beets. 



Strawberries and a sweet pea. 


Our first year with chickens. Handling the little baby hens so they would get used to us. 


Having a snooze on the onions. 


Hot peppers should be grown separately from other peppers. They seem to do really well in containers. 


Onions from that year. 


Skinny little radishes I harvested in December before we had our cold frame. 



Tomatoes and a sweet pea.

2 comments:

  1. You're just itching to get back at it again aren't you. That woodpecker is a pileated woodpecker I think. I saw one once many years ago way back in the woods when we lived down in Lochaber. Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just googled pileated woodpecker and I do believe you're right. Looks the same with the red cap. I just spotted one the other day, they're always around here.

    ReplyDelete