Thursday, January 23, 2014

Genius!


I have always roasted my butternut squash at 350 degrees, not wanting to cook things to the point of browning. The other day I was roasting a squash at the same time I had the oven at 400 degrees for something else. I threw the squash in, got busy and forgot to check it, as I normally would, and flip it. When I did check it, it was too late and completely done. I took the squash out and let it cool for about 5 minutes before trying to peel the skin off. When I went to peel the skin off, both skins came off perfectly in one large piece. I tried the exact same method again a couple nights later and voila there it is! I'm not sure if other people know this method, I'm certain they do, but I'm yet to have come across it specifically in any squash roasting recipe.  I would think that not flipping the squash is important to getting the skin off in the one piece. As the squash is cooling it almost creates steam between the skin and the flesh and maybe that's what allows the skin to slip off. Same idea as putting a roasted pepper into a paper bag I guess! I mentioned initially I usually roast things at 350 to avoid browning, that's because it's thought that browned or burning/burnt foods could potentially be carcinogenic (like burnt BBQ), but I will still probably use this method. The squash was quicker to roast but I was able to catch it well before any parts of the squash browned like the juices did in the bottom of the pan. It's just too easy to pass up! 

2 comments:

  1. It is genius. I do this but on a small scale. Will try whole squash next time. Makes perfect sense. Don't burn..caramelize. Candy squash. Yummm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy it worked again! I almost always burn my finger tips since I have no patience to wait for it to cool, and usually I want to mix it with butter immediately so the butter will melt.

    ReplyDelete