Thursday, January 16, 2014

In the Cold Frame.

I actually got into the cold frame yesterday after all our snow took a major beating and is pretty much licked at this point. It's been since early, early December that I've been in there. At that time we were still eating lots of kale, bok choy, green onions. radishes and lettuces. It's been hopelessly covered in several feet of snow since early December and due to the freezing temperatures we were having, I kept it completely covered for insulating purposes. 


Left to right, kale (planted to start growing again in the spring months rather than for eating before the winter months set in), tatsoi, scallions, random lettuces and radishes, kale and bok choy for eating before the winter months set in.  



Tatsoi loves the cold weather!


The scallions are looking ratty after we harvested most of them before the winter months, leaving the remainder of the plant in the ground to grow again. Green onions do this so well, they're one of my top cut and come again crops. 


Looks like I have enough for a feed of kale! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic Jessica..just great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! It's been such a lousy year for the cold frame, weather wise, I was pleasantly surprised when I got in there and saw everything doing so well.

    ReplyDelete