Thursday, January 30, 2014

It Finally Happened...


I killed my sourdough starter. Sourdough starters can take a lot of abuse and neglect, trust me,  although I finally pushed it too far. I hadn't fed my starter in awhile, like close to 3 weeks, which I have done before. No problem I thought as I poured off the liquid that had accumulated and removed half of the starter before feeding it with new flour. I fed it, left it out on the counter for the day, threw it in the fridge and left it until the next day. When I took the starter out to let it sit on the counter before making bread with it, I opened it up to see how it was doing. It was not doing well at all. A layer of actual mold had grown on top of the starter and the starter itself was a light more white than grey color. Not good! It smelled really bad too. 

Admitting my defeat, I tossed it and started again with a new starter (pictured above) which is finally ready to use today after living on the counter for two weeks. 


Feeding the hens a portion of the starter every day while it was growing. They love the stuff! 


New loaf, first one baked with the new starter.

2 comments:

  1. what's the difference? why do you prefer sourdough? sounds like it's harder to make so it must be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This previous post should answer your questions. Commercial yeast is thought to actually deplete B vitamins from your body, not to mention it can contribute to candida yeast overgrowth. Follow the link!
    http://jessicapbees.blogspot.ca/2011/05/sourdough-when-it-is-ok-to-have.html

    ReplyDelete